In early 1828, Edward Lloyd Thomas and his son Truman began to survey what would one day become the second largest city in the state of Georgia.
They continued their work in the cold, damp weather with Truman becoming seriously ill. Truman died on March 26, 1828 and his father buried him the next day. On April 28, 1828, Thomas surveyed an area of four acres around the grave of his son for use as a cemetery by the city of Columbus.
The cemetery was known simply as the "city ceme- tery" until November 7, 1894, when the city council voted to officially change the name to "Linwood Cemetery."
During the antebellum period (that is, prior to the War of Northern Aggression) Linwood was an affluent suburb of Columbus, lying between Wynnton and Rose Hill. As early as 1854, this suburb had adopted the name Linwood from the novel of Caroline Lee Hentz named Ernest Linwood.
The cemetery originally consisted of the "Old Ceme-
tery" section. To this original section, three basic additions were made: those prior to 1855; those of 1855; and, those of 1862-1863.
Many fine momuments grace Linwood Cemetery and you may visit the same seven days a week from, basicly, sunrise to sunset (the gates close at 6 pm, due to recent vandalism). Unfortunately, weather and vandals have irrevocably altered many of these priceless memorials, but every one with any type of masonic marker has been preserved on film.
Here are some of them. Note Columbian Lodge # 7's plot marker, which includes an abbreviation no longer used in Georgia.